Kitchen makeovers sit atop many homeowners’ wish lists, but they can be stressful and costly. However, there are simple projects you can tackle that will give your kitchen the look and feel of a total overhaul without breaking the bank.
- Backsplash: Giving your backsplash a makeover can do wonders for your kitchen. Get creative with colors or patterns that accentuate your home. Subway tiles are a common choice for a clean look. For homeowners looking to make more of a statement, mirrored and metallic finishes have become more popular in recent years. If your kitchen is in need of color, look to your backsplash project as an opportunity to brighten it up.
- Lighting: Lighting is the gateway to changing the mood of your kitchen in an instant. Experiment with new light switch covers that emphasize your kitchen’s color palette. If you’re looking for a new centerpiece, linear pendant lights will deliver that coveted farmhouse feel. For a more regal look, explore chandeliers for a classy feel.
- Freshen up your colors: Adding color is an affordable way to liven up your kitchen. Look for vibrant cookware and dinnerware and use open shelving to give some color splashes at eye level. Because of their large surface area, kitchen islands are a great place for color. Try painting around the exterior or the countertop to turn it into an eye-popping feature.
- Drawers and cabinets: Look for simple solutions that will work in your newly made-over kitchen. Drawer dividers can do wonders for creating space and staying organized. The insides of cabinet doors make a great home for spice racks. Set aside time to dig through your drawers and cabinets. Sort out what you need to get rid of and what will stay as you declutter.
- Overhead storage: A common space-saving tactic in restaurant kitchens is to hang pots and pans. This keeps heavy hardware organized, frees up cabinet space, and brings a touch of décor to your kitchen. Explore the different styles to fit the look of your kitchen including stainless steel, wood, copper, and more.
Things to keep in mind
If you’re looking to incorporate some bigger projects into your kitchen makeover, be sure to keep the following tips in mind to stay on budget and on schedule.
- Buying cheap can be costly: When it comes to appliances, flooring, cabinets and other fixtures of your kitchen, it may be tempting to say yes to cheaper options. However, cheap materials and appliances can break easily and often require extra maintenance, which can lead to greater costs in the long run. If something is slightly more expensive but still fits in your budget, know that the higher quality will likely pay off.
- Choose your appliances early: It’s easy to direct your attention to cabinets and countertops in the beginning stages of your remodel. However, the last thing you want to have happen is to pick those out first, only to discover that they don’t leave enough room for your dishwasher or refrigerator. Be sure to select your major appliances first, then build around them.
- Consult professionals when applicable: For homeowners who are passionate about their home, it can be easy to get a little obsessive when it comes to remodeling. If you are unsure about how to proceed at any point in the process, consult a professional to guide you in the right direction. It may be helpful to seek the opinion of multiple experts and compare their answers to find the best solution.
These ideas offer simple ways to freshen up the heart and soul of your home. Whether your household is big or small, choose your projects, set a budget, and have fun improving your kitchen.